$100,000 Gift of Care from Margaret & Charles Juravinski
St. Joseph’s Villa & Foundation are thrilled to announce another incredible gift of $100,000 from Hamilton philanthropists Charles and Margaret Juravinski. This generous donation enables St. Joseph’s Villa to provide essential programs and services at Margaret’s Place Hospice, slated to open in Spring 2021.
The gift comes in addition to the Juravinski’s original support of $2.7 million to Margaret’s Place. Having a deeply rooted history with St. Joseph’s Villa, they did not hesitate to support a hospice’s development on the campus. Their donation marks one of the largest gifts to a hospice in Canadian history.
“It’s a wonderful feeling to be able to support initiatives like these in our community,” says Charles. “The hospice is named after my wife, Margaret, but it’s a place for all Margaret’s and anyone else who needs it.”
Margaret and Charles’ history with St. Joseph’s Villa dates back to 1988 when Margaret’s mother became a resident of the Villa. With her ten years of living at the Villa, the Juravinskis realized the importance of compassionate long-term care and the financial struggles to fund it. To give back for the care her mother received, they supported the redevelopment of St. Joseph’s Villa in 2002 with a $5 million gift – one of the largest gifts ever to a long-term care facility. The redevelopment was made possible through their contribution and created a new standard of long-term care in our community.
Now, nearly 20 years later, the Juravinskis have yet again played a pivotal role in our community by setting this new standard of hospice care through their commitment to Margaret’s Place Hospice.
“Support like this makes it possible for us to elevate the level of care and comfort at St. Joseph’s Villa,” says Don Davidson, President and CEO, St. Joseph’s Villa Foundation. “Margaret and Charles’ friendship and commitment to the Villa over the years will leave a long-lasting impact on thousands of patients and their families who enter Margaret’s Place to spend their last days or weeks.”
About Margaret’s Place and hospice funding
Margaret’s Place Hospice is rising rapidly on the grounds of St. Joseph’s Villa. Construction has been uninterrupted throughout the pandemic and is set for completion in Spring 2021. The ten-bedroom hospice will accept patients of all ages who face terminal illnesses. Located in Dundas, Margaret’s Place is a tranquil setting backing onto the Spring Creek Ravine, giving patients and their families peace and dignity in their final days.
While hospice care is free to patients, the Ministry of Health only supports approximately 60 per cent of the operational expenses annually. To provide the services and programs for patients and their families, the St. Joseph’s Villa Foundation is responsible for the other 40 per cent – totaling approximately $520,000 every year. The Villa Foundation will continue to reach out to our community to sustain much-needed programs and services at the Villa and Hospice.
To learn more about Margaret’s Place and how you can help, visit: http://margaretsplacesjv.ca/