Margaret's place

$500,000 Gift Caps ‘Gift of Love Campaign’

DUNDAS, ONTARIOSt. Joseph’s Villa & Foundation are thrilled to announce a leadership gift of $500,000 from Dundas Lions Club to Margaret’s Place Hospice at St. Joseph’s Villa. This generous Gift of Love puts St. Joseph’s Villa Foundation over the top of the $13,000,000 community capital fundraising goal.

Few of us will ever have the opportunity to make history or leave a legacy like this in our lifetimes. The Lions care deeply about our community, and they know how important it is to have dignified and compassionate end of life care. This gift will serve the Dundas and surrounding communities for decades to come. “Service clubs are the backbone of our community. We are very proud to live in a community that truly cares for one another. This gift will leave a lasting legacy of dignity, comfort and peace to thousands of families. This is truly the hospice that community built and this gift from the Dundas Lions Club confirms that,” said Don Davidson, Foundation President & CEO.

The Dundas Lions Club is an integral part of the Dundas community, as well as the Villa’s history. Margaret’s Place Hospice is one of the most important projects Dundas has seen in the last two decades. It is the first hospice to be built in the West Hamilton region that includes Dundas, Flamborough, the Ancaster area. “This hospice will impact the lives of thousands of patients of all ages, and their families, in the coming years. The need for a hospice in our community is great. It is important to offer those facing a life-limiting illness a place where they can spend their last days or weeks with their family in a setting where they are comfortable and their medical needs are taken care of. Margaret’s Place will not only serve patients, but it will also provide compassionate support to their families during the most difficult time in their lives”, said John Woods, President of St. Joseph’s Villa.

Since the launch of our Gift of Love Campaign for Margaret’s Place Hospice in 2018, our community has fully embraced this vision. “We are so thankful to our generous individual donors, local businesses, service groups and partners, for their compassion and faith in our work. This leadership gift is instrumental in taking us over our $13 million capital fundraising goal – it’s just wonderful” said Dave Curto, Villa Foundation Board Chair.

Hospice is now rising on the St. Joseph’s Villa Campus! Fortunately, construction has been uninterrupted during the pandemic and we expect the building to be enclosed by the time winter weather arrives. Work will continue on the interior over the winter months, with completion set for Spring 2021.

We stand at a very pivotal moment in our fundraising effort as we move from the Gift of Love campaign which is building Margaret’s place, to the Gift of Care that will ensure medical equipment, meals, programs and services are there for patients and their families.

The Dundas Lions Club take pride in the services they offer to make their community a better place to live, but they also know that they couldn’t do this without your help. With this in mind, they have put a challenge out to everyone in the Dundas, Ancaster, Flamborough, Hamilton communities, asking to collectively match their gift by making a Gift of Care. “We are honoured to have this opportunity to support such a worthy cause in our own town. Our mission is to raise funds and give back to the community. This legacy gift will serve families of Dundas and surrounding area for many years to come,” said John V. Grant, President, Dundas Lions Club.

On behalf of St. Joseph’s Villa and Foundation, our board of directors, and all of those who will be served through Margaret’s Place, Hospice at St. Joseph’s Villa, we extend a sincere thank you to the Dundas Lions Club.

About Hospice Funding

Although hospice care is free to patients, the Ministry of Health only supports approximately 60% of the operational expenses annually. To provide the services and programs for patients and their families, the Villa Foundation will be responsible for the other 40% which is approximately $520,000 a year . . . every year going forward. The Foundation will continue to reach out to our community in support of sustaining much-needed services at the Villa and Hospice.

For More Information

Don Davidson, President & CEO
St. Joseph’s Villa Foundation
(905) 627-3541